Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Rodli Family Story by Ludvig Rodli - written originally in Norwegian

Age is a strange thing. That which happened a year ago or maybe as late as a week ago can either be wholly erased by the memory or in the best case so concealed that the outlines are hardly noticeable.

On the other hand, much of that which happened in the childhood years can be so real that it can be thought about as it could have easily happened yesterday.

Among the memories from my own childhood there are no pictures which in clearness and distinctness can measure up to those I have of father and mother. This, of course, is result of the fact that I have recalled the picture of father and mother much more often than I have recalled of their pictures from my childhood years. One other cause for the difference can be found in the much more intimate and lasting associations I have had with my parents than with others from my childhood.

But the primary reason for the difference, I believe, anyway lies in the love I have always had for my parents, matched with respect and honor for them.

Indeed a child can love his parents without respecting and honoring them, but both respect and honor are necessary to avoid shadows on the picture of memory.

Both father and mother, on account of their dealings, were respected and esteemed by all. As far as I'm concerned, I cannot say that I have at any time noticed that my parents behaved in a way that wasn't entirely in keeping with those demands which, in my opinion, could be placed upon a spotless behavior.

(pages 2,3 and 4 are missing. I wonder if Keith or Ruth have them?)

Father married again and this time with the youngest daughter of the above-mentioned parliament member - Nostvik-Johanna-Birgitte- was born June 13, 1832. At her baptism, Father had been present as her godparent.

The marriage took place in 1850. The first child who was born was a girl named Johanna Lovise. She died at thirteen years of age of diphtheria and is buried in the Nostvik churchyard. In the same resting place where my mother is also buried.

A few years after Sellas death, I was born and one-half years later on December 8, 1867, my brother, Olaf Erling Hartvig, was born.

After what I have said, it should be clear that the possibilities my fahter had when he started individual activity at seventeen were no better than those other people had from the same community. One can say with good reason that the contrary was the case. A seventeen year old boy is certainly no mature man, and parentless as he was,he had to try to get ahead on his own as much as he could.

Father married at an age of about twenty-two years. He started early in this respect also. Mother has told me that father learned the lumber trade at an early age. My personal impression was that he could do any work with his hands in connection with farming and forestry. He was among other things a blacksmith.

One of father's working friends from that time was Bendik Jacobsen. He was a cousin of mother and married to one of mother's sisters, Aunt Elizabeth. Uncle Bendik was also one who was lucky. Besides being very capable, he was an administrative official in the county, in Bronno and Vik townships - one of the largest sheriff's office in Nordland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home